MADE IN NIGERIA

Guess what? Something interesting happened to me yesterday...Something I never thought was possible... I went to the cinemas with my hubby to watch a movie. When we got to the counter to pay, we had three options of movies to watch. There were two foreign movies and one made in Nigerian. Naturally, the made in Nigeria movie was not an option for me so it was a choice between the other two foreign movies. However, my hubby (who by the way detests Nigerian movies) had seen the preview of this particular Nigerian film and thought it might be interesting. Anyway, after much argument back and forth trying to convince me (who hates Nigerian films even more); we decided to watch the Nigerian movie!
Hmmm...I was so so sceptical about the movie; I kept telling my hubby that we'll be the only ones in the theatre. On getting into the theatre however, I first of all was shocked to see the place almost full. Ok, we settled down to watch the movie and all the time, I kept looking out for something wrong...I looked out for the regular theme songs that tell you the whole story in the first scene...it didn't come. I looked out for the regular blunders in continuity...it didn't come. I looked out for clumsy acting, no show. In fact, the movie literarily shocked the wits out of me. 
Simply put, this movie is WORLD CLASS!!! I mean, just when I had given up on Nollywood, God stepped in and brought out something extra ordinary...FIGURINE - ARAROMIRE!!!! I am now convinced that there is hope for us in this Country oh! Oh, in fact you can't begin to understand the joy and renewed hope I felt after watching this movie yesterday. You see, I love acting....that's one of my many God given talents which comes naturally to me. I have done a couple of stages plays and even tried my hands on a soap opera. However, I have bluntly refused to associate myself with anything that has to do with Nollywood because of the miserable quality of productions it has churned out in the last few years. I had given up hope and never bothered watching any of their movies because each time I do; I get very upset as I know it can't take much more to do something close to Hollywood quality.
But honestly my dears, my scepticism has been laid to rest with this movie...Something good...no, I take that back...Something EXCELLENT has come out of Nigeria and boy am I proud. Proud of the talented producer of this movie, proud of Funlola Aofiyebi, and the rest of the crew. It was a class act. A must-watch for anyone still keeping hope for a better Nigeria alive. 

I'm going to leave you with excerpts of a mail I received years ago about Nollywood... This was how it used to be but now I dare say with a producer like Kunle Afolayan, and with God on our side, this joke of an industry is now ready for change we can believe in. It's a long but very amusing read. Enjoy!!

24 things we've learnt from Nollywood. 

1. Every problem you have is spiritual.
2. In every romance movie, someone must die. 
3. It is possible to hit a person without actually touching them! 
4. Anyone who gets hit by a car dies immediately. 
5. Poisoned food always tastes better. 
6. The best way to make money is by visiting a 'Babalawo' / joining a cult / sleeping with rich men. 
7. One of a pair of twins (identical or not) is born evil. 
8. There is never an end to your suffering, except death! 
9. With a pastor ... all things are possible. 
10. A movie can be titled anything... such as: *The boy is mine, * Face me, I face you *Two rats, *Spanner, *Calculator, *Igala, *Ijele, *Igodo, *Igudu *Shigidi 
11. A movie has not been made if at least one actor/actress has not- 'shelled', twisted his/her lips to speak wrong phonetics'. 
12. You are in love... you want to take your girl out, the best place you take her to is... *Mr. Biggs/Tantalizers: where you'll most probably see an ex  ....... while feeding each other. *The beach: where it is imperative that you ride a donkey and carry her playfully. *Or the best: take her to buy some new ugly clothes. 
13. An Igbo movie has been made if ... * You visit a 'Babalawo' * A fleet of cars is shown off at regular intervals for a total of half of the movie time. * Kanayo 'O' Kanayo is in the movie. Pete Udochie is also there too! * To get rich it is mandatory you join a cult 
14. Gun shots and knock-outs sound the same! 
15. Sometimes the title has absolutely nothing to do with the movie and other times, once you read the title and see the poster you know it all!!! (Also the soundtrack gives you a headache because it just narrates the whole story repeatedly - so much for suspense and intrigue!) 
16. A love story has not been produced if it does not have one or two of the following actresses: * Stella Damascus * Stephanie Okereke * Genevieve Nnaji * Omotola Jalade * Rita Dominic 
17. The police are extremely 'efficient' unlike their counterparts in real life. 
18. An actress can wear the same hairdo for more than a year and even in longer flashbacks. 
19. It is permissible to wear very dark shades at night! 
20. When you are shot in the chest, it really doesn't matter; your head will be bandaged! Same for your legs! 
21. When advertising a movie, you really should shout because... people are deaf? 
22. When you are extremely poor, you will still be able to afford- very good furniture, T.V., but you won't be able to send your kids to school 
23. Most especially in Yoruba movies, your gateman must be inefficient and comical. He MUST dress like a freak, be rude to all your visitors and never mind his business. 
24.  My personal favourite- the bad guy always dies or gets caught by none other than the police- LOL!!!!!

XOXO...

Comments

  1. NOLLYWOOD.........I am no viewer nor fan....

    But i guess.....Good Thinking , Good Product......says Toyota

    Heard FIGURINE - ARAROMIRE was a high budget film, little wonder it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 24 things we've learnt from Nollywood.....No17,.... though the Police may seem “efficient” in the films they are nevertheless rude, violent and raw even in the films just as they are in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New movies from Nollywood
    1.X-militants (Nolly's version of X-men)
    2. Deregulation!!!
    3. Amnesty Deal
    4. Politicians in Prison (based on the true story of OlaBode G.)
    5. Boko Haram Saga !!!!!!
    6. The Kidnap (starrng Pete Edochie)
    7. .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anonymous,
    Are these names for real or are you just making them up? I'm sure Nollywood can do better than this in 2009 oh!!! Ok, I'm not sure, i can only hope...

    XOXO...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Enemy Called Mediocrity

TIME & CHANCE

SURPRISE!!!!!