WEIRD FOOD COMBOS


I have a sister-in-law who is a GARRI IJEBU freak! This babe (and even my husband) relish the Nigerian delicacy like it was some kind of caviar. I hear even their mum is a huge fan. I never could understand the love for drinking Garri that these people have...and I probably never will.


Anyway, on Sunday, all of a sudden, I remember that there was this time in Secondary School when we used to drink garri with a dash of lemon or lime, ice cubes and sugar (of course). So I told them about it and asked them to try it out and they both went "NO WAY, THAT'S WEIRD!!!". I ignored them of course. Luckily I had both lime and lemon in the fridge so I got out my husband's favourite bowl, ceremoniously prepared the garri and ice cubes with some lime squeezed into it and served it to him with delicious hot Moi-Moi (hmmm...how do I explain moi moi to my oyinbo brothers and sisters?? Ok, for the sake of a name, just call it steamed bean cake).


I presented the tray to my husband and waited by the sidelines for his opinion. You should have seen his face after he took the first spoon....he looked like a child who just discovered chocolate! My sister-in-law came into the room, tasted his own and literarily ran to the kitchen to get hers. They were in cloud 9 the whole day. Boy it feels so good to see people's joyful faces, to feel that you've made someone's day just by filling their tummy with good food. Yes oh, I love to cook, I love to see people eat my food and express absolute excitement. My day is made when that happens.


So whoever is reading this, try out my combination: garri (it must be ijebu or...forget it), sugar, ice-cubes with a dash of lime/lemon over this weekend and let me know what you think....If you've tried it before, let me hear your opinion too. And if you have any similar 'weird' food combinations you want to share, let's hear it.




XOXO...

Comments

  1. So real.............just had a laugh.

    Cool stuff will definitely try it out this holiday.

    Meanwhile, a close friend of mine and I use to have noodles and bread.....anyone had that before?

    Love kponky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! rib cracking stuff! had a smile on just reading this.

    favourite combos? hmm how about:
    'gala' and youghourt (when in traffic?)
    agege bread and 'agonyin' beans
    bread and moi-moi(from Unilag days!)
    pineapple/pawpaw/watermelon fruit salad with some youghort on it? (healthy combo)


    better stop there before i am accused of food addiction!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm...still smiling here..nice one koks!
    pineapple/pawpaw/watermelon with some youghort is sure nicccee! everyone should try that! will get some of my combos up soon!! meanwhile ..kponky bread n noodles??? boring sis!!!!!!!!!!! lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coconut & Grountnut or Apple, Moi Moi & Bread, Rice & Okro soup... Try it first before you make face.

    Then again I went to a buffet serving restaurant & watch one huge man heap jollof rice, beans porridge, vegetable soup & then took his bowl of fruit salad (yes oh!!!) and poured in on the side of his meal. After all no be one bele all go enter? Make una stay dia nah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cabin biscuit and okro soup. True story from my secondary school days. And they say the recession just started...

    ReplyDelete
  6. please try out fried rice with home made youghort ( if you know how to make it ). An expartriate friend of mine convinced me to experiment with this . It was realy nice. I hear it is quite healthy.- Kunle Adeyemi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Na wa for una o! Garri and Lime/Lemon?! I never knew you could butterize (tush up) garri-drinking, turning it into intercontinental cuisine! Well, I'll try it and experiment but I'll never ever EVER try cabin and okro! As a matter of fact, anything with okro besides swallow! (eba, pounded yam, fufu, amala; Finish!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Enemy Called Mediocrity

TIME & CHANCE

SURPRISE!!!!!